DOTween Pro Path Local Movement unexpected results
« on: May 15, 2015, 03:51:16 AM »
I am trying to create a path animation using the path waypoint editor and make the movement local to a parented gameobject but it is not working. I cant use world position as my ui content is scaled depending on the screen size of a mobile device. I believe to get it working i just need to check "Local Movement" on Path Tween Options but it doesnt seem to work as when i play the animation the path just suddenly jumps somewhere else. Am i doing it wrongly?

edit: using v0.9.255
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 04:12:46 AM by rz_chorus »

Daniele

• Dr. Admin, I presume
    • View Profile
    • Demigiant
Re: DOTween Pro Path Local Movement unexpected results
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 02:58:17 AM »
Hi,

Sorry for the delayed answer, but I got taken by today's general DOTween + Pro update.

I just tested your use case to be sure I didn't introduce a bug, but here local path movement works correctly. Can you create a sample project that replicates your issue?

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 05:36:13 AM »
No worries. Here is a package showing the problem. Do note that the object does not animate base on the path when switch to local movement.

Daniele

• Dr. Admin, I presume
    • View Profile
    • Demigiant
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 07:54:28 PM »
Hi,

I checked your package and now I see the issue. I didn't realize you were using a path with a UGUI object. Local paths don't work there because UGUI objects actually use anchorPositions instead of positions. Also, it's definitely not recommended to use paths with UGUI, since paths require to move a transform (contrary to simple Move tweens that use anchorPositions), and that is a very heavy operation for Unity (because each time you move a UGUI transform, Unity needs to reorganize tons of UGUI variables and data).

Do you think you could use a non-UGUI Sprite instead? Otherwise, I'll see if I can implement a path system that uses anchorPositions, but it might take a while.

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 03:32:09 AM »
It would be really great if you could implement that system as my application is mainly GUI based and the path animation im doing and need to do more is on the GUI layer which is done entirely using UGUI.

Daniele

• Dr. Admin, I presume
    • View Profile
    • Demigiant
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 10:23:54 AM »
Ok, added to my todo list. Hope to have it done as soon as possible, but might take a while since it's kind of complicated (I will actually start working on it right now).

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 11:37:36 AM »
Oh sweet! Cant wait! The new upgrade will make your asset a must have for people who want to do path animations using UGUI

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2015, 11:04:35 AM »
Hey Daniele sorry to disturb but do you have any updates on the progress?

Daniele

• Dr. Admin, I presume
    • View Profile
    • Demigiant
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2015, 01:46:45 PM »
Hi!

I am working on it just now, after scrapping a previous version that didn't work as I wanted. I have to say that now I'm not 100% sure I'll be able to implement this though, because the more I work on it, the more I realize that UGUI is really not made to work with paths (especially because the visual path needs to be drawn using 3D coordinates, while UGUI's anchoredPosition uses a "similar but different" set of coordinates).