Adding a Tween to a sequence by its ID
« on: April 21, 2015, 02:16:24 AM »
Hi,

I've got some DOTween Pro component tweens added on some uGUI panels that I have given ID names to in the inspector, and I'm wanting to collect these tweens up in a sequence so I can fire them all off via code.

This works:
Code: [Select]
DOTween.Restart ("HUDPanelTopIn");
DOTween.Restart ("HUDPanelLeftIn");
DOTween.Restart ("HUDPanelRightIn");

However I'm not sure how to insert into the sequence using those ID strings.  E.g. after looking at the doco I tried writing a little function that polls :

vHUDPanelsIn = DOTween.Sequence ();
vHUDPanelsIn.Insert (0.0f, FindTween ("HUDPanelTopIn"));
vHUDPanelsIn.Insert (0.0f, FindTween ("HUDPanelLeftIn"));
vHUDPanelsIn.Insert (0.0f, FindTween ("HUDPanelRightIn"));

private Tween FindTween (string pTweenName)
{
Tween vReturnTween = null;

List<Tween> vFindTweenList = DOTween.TweensById (pTweenName);
if (vFindTweenList != null)
{
foreach (Tween vFindTween in vFindTweenList)
{
if (vFindTween != null)
{
vReturnTween = vFindTween;
break;
}
}
}

return vReturnTween;
}

which I had hoped would do it, however the "DOTween.TweensById" seems to be returning a null list.

Am I doing something wrong?  Is there an easier way to get the tween object by ID for use in a sequence?

Daniele

• Dr. Admin, I presume
    • View Profile
    • Demigiant
Re: Adding a Tween to a sequence by its ID
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 02:54:50 AM »
Hi,

I never thought of using visual editor tweens in a Sequence. In theory, that should be possible as long as the tweens are not set to AutoPlay (because a tween can be added to a Sequence only before it starts). I can't test it now (3AM here and I'm going to bed), but your approach should work. The only reason I can think of why TweensById is not returning you anything, is because you're maybe calling it before the tweens are created? If you're calling your FindTween method inside Awake, try with Start.

Let me know, and cheers.

P.S. on a side note, I have in my "maybe" list the idea of creating a new visual editor panel that will allow you to create Sequences of tweens connected to different gameObjects.

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 09:00:55 AM »
Yes, AutoPlay is off and the sequence is being constructed well after Awake, so it's not that.

I've checked a few of your other list commands such as TweensByTarget (off the GameObject holding them) and PausedTweens and those seem to bring up their tweens list just fine, so they are definitely there and don't appear to have started yet.  It's only TweensById that doesn't seem to be working and unfortunately that's the one I need to be able to identify them via string.  Could that function be not picking up the visual editor ones perhaps?

I also tried as an alternative option having public inspector Tween or Tweener variables in the code and then dragging the tween directly onto the variable in inspector to access it that way, which is a trick I've used before in another product, but that didn't work either.  Is it possible for these types to be exposed in the inspector as well when public, to further allow for any visual editor tweens to be attached and then identified in the code?

Visual sequences would be very nice.   :)  As would having a "tween" for setting UI objects to enabled/disabled or visible/invisible to include in those sequences.  For example some of my sequences involve a rotation where at the peak of the rotate, one sprite swaps out and another swaps in.  It would be great if I could work the timing of those bool changes into the tween sequence chain and have it all handled there.

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 11:14:54 AM »
FYI in case it helps anyone else I have got around this for now by using this:

private Tween FindTween (string pUIObjectName,
                         string pTweenName)
{
Tween vReturnTween = null;

GameObject vUIObject = GameObject.Find (pUIObjectName).gameObject;
if (vUIObject != null)
{
List<Tween> vFindTweenList = DOTween.TweensByTarget (vUIObject);
if (vFindTweenList != null)
{
foreach (Tween vFindTween in vFindTweenList)
{
if (vFindTween                != null &&
    vFindTween.id.ToString () == pTweenName)
{
vReturnTween = vFindTween;
break;
}
}
}
}

return vReturnTween;
}

this lets me construct sequences as follows:

// Construct HUD in sequence
vHUDPanelsIn = DOTween.Sequence ();
vHUDPanelsIn.Insert (0.0f, FindTween ("HUDPanelTop",   "HUDPanelTopIn"));
vHUDPanelsIn.Insert (0.0f, FindTween ("HUDPanelLeft",  "HUDPanelLeftIn"));
vHUDPanelsIn.Insert (0.0f, FindTween ("HUDPanelRight", "HUDPanelRightIn"));

and trigger it in the code just with:

public void ShowHUD ()
{
// Restart and play the tweens
vHUDPanelsIn.Restart ();
}

It'd still be nice to know what's going on with TweensById not working, but I can at least proceed now.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 12:02:13 PM by cynicalwanderer »

Daniele

• Dr. Admin, I presume
    • View Profile
    • Demigiant
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 01:31:39 PM »
Hi,

I'm back. Will have to work on a thing for the next hour, but then I'll jump on this issue, because if TweensById isn't working that can only be a bug and I'll fix it :)

About the other questions, you can't assign a DOTweenAnimation tween to a public Inspector variable, because the tween is created at startup. But you can assign the DOTweenAnimation itself (regardless of which one, in case you have more), and then call

myDOTweenAnimation.GetTweens();
which returns a list of all tweens created by all DOTweenAnimations on the gameObject (which, after all, is like calling

DOTween.TweensByTarget (myGameObject);
About the enable/disable request, I'm adding it to my todo list.

Daniele

• Dr. Admin, I presume
    • View Profile
    • Demigiant
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 05:54:10 PM »
TweensById did have a bug with tweens created by DOTween Pro, sorry for that. Download this new version of DOTween (just replace the DOTween folder with the one inside the download) and it'll be fixed.

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 07:31:14 PM »
Great, thanks, I'll give that a try.  I had worked around it using TweensByTarget but this fix will be better.

For the booleans, after playing with it further, that feature seems to be able to be worked around already via your tween events, so I'm now using the GameObject.SetActive call off the OnComplete event.  So it's all good there, if a little clunky with needing to store the objects in code so they can be re-enabled later, but that's a Unity limitation anyway.  Hopefully one day Unity will add an actual visibility flag on the canvas renderer and make a lot of people happier.   :D

Cheers, and thanks for the quick response!

Daniele

• Dr. Admin, I presume
    • View Profile
    • Demigiant
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 08:18:26 PM »
Glad you're getting it to work.

About the visibility, I'm thinking of a way to be able to activate/deactivate a gameObject via a checkbox in the DOTweenAnimation Inspector. Or maybe to instead add a
DOTweenAnimation.DOSetActive(bool active) which could be used via the visual tween events.

Cheers!

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 08:50:22 PM »
Hi again,

I've been using my tween finder approach and it's been working fine, so I am now ramping up the number of tweens and sequences. 

I'm currently pre-loading 4 sequences at start time, each with about seven tweens that have ID strings of on average about 25 letters.  However, there seems to be some hard limit getting hit in the dll, as once I get beyond a certain amount of these it gives me:

IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
DG.Tweening.Core.TweenManager.RemoveActiveTween (DG.Tweening.Tween t) (at D:/DG/_Develop/__UNITY3_CLASSES/_Holoville/__DOTween/_DOTween.Assembly/DOTween/Core/TweenManager.cs:786)
DG.Tweening.Core.TweenManager.AddActiveTweenToSequence (DG.Tweening.Tween t) (at D:/DG/_Develop/__UNITY3_CLASSES/_Holoville/__DOTween/_DOTween.Assembly/DOTween/Core/TweenManager.cs:165)
DG.Tweening.Sequence.DoInsert (DG.Tweening.Sequence inSequence, DG.Tweening.Tween t, Single atPosition) (at D:/DG/_Develop/__UNITY3_CLASSES/_Holoville/__DOTween/_DOTween.Assembly/DOTween/Sequence.cs:56)
DG.Tweening.TweenSettingsExtensions.Insert (DG.Tweening.Sequence s, Single atPosition, DG.Tweening.Tween t) (at D:/DG/_Develop/__UNITY3_CLASSES/_Holoville/__DOTween/_DOTween.Assembly/DOTween/TweenSettingsExtensions.cs:441)

I've tried rearranging the order of the sequence inserts to see if I could identify the culprit, but there doesn't seem to be a particular one it's dying on.  I'm speculating perhaps some buffer is getting filled up in the DLL of a maximum size of some sort hardcoded there?

Anyway, hopefully you can track it down from the line numbers there in the error.  In the meanwhile I'll be looking into a workaround.  Cheers!

Daniele

• Dr. Admin, I presume
    • View Profile
    • Demigiant
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2015, 09:27:38 PM »
Agh, that error shouldn't be there at all. I can't find a way to replicate it, and it's a very sneaky one. Any chance you could send me your project so I can test it there? Or if you manage to create a barebone replica it would be even better.

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2015, 10:07:29 PM »
Ok, let me see if I can reproduce it in a stripped down version.  What's the best process for sending you the project files?

Daniele

• Dr. Admin, I presume
    • View Profile
    • Demigiant
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2015, 10:27:51 PM »
Thanks! Upload it using something like Dropbox or Mediafire or anything like that, and send me the link via Personal Message (click on the balloon icon below my avatar). If you have problems uploading it somewhere, write me a message anyway and I'll share my mail with you, so you can simply attach it there.

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2015, 10:48:57 PM »
Ok, I've put a reproduction of the issue on Dropbox, which I have installed but have never used, so hopefully this works - please let me know if it's not accessible.  I'll PM you the link.

On the UI Canvas object you will see my "HUDManager" scripts.  There's a bool on the inspector called vDebugSequenceIssue which when true will cause the error on startup, but when false will allow at least the portion before the error to go through so that the HUD buttons sort of work and show the tweens. 

Anyway the function in the code where I've left some comments about the error is SetupSequences.

Thanks for taking a look!

Daniele

• Dr. Admin, I presume
    • View Profile
    • Demigiant
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2015, 12:48:45 AM »
It worked! :)

Gonna take a look now, but if it starts getting too complicated I will continue tomorrow (almost 1AM here). And thanks to you for sending me the bugged project. I hate bugs. Will squash them all!

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2015, 01:22:29 AM »
Sure, no rush - it's midnight here and I'm finishing up for the night myself.  I've got plenty of my own bugs elsewhere in my project that I can tackle in the meantime, so I know what you mean!