Tween overwriting
« on: March 30, 2016, 03:21:41 PM »
Hi, question about overwriting tweens.

Wanted to confirm that tween 'overwriting' isn't a feature that already exists. For example, using scripts I've applied DOTWEEN to handle animation between different states of gameobjects (such as a mouse over/out). The problem is that applying an animation can come into conflict with those that are not yet complete -- so the previous animation has to be explicitly killed before applying the new one when it affects the same properties.

Is there a simple built-in way to combat this? My current less-than-ideal solution is using another layer of code above DOTWEEN to handle setting animations, which kills previous ones itself.

Daniele

• Dr. Admin, I presume
    • View Profile
    • Demigiant
Re: Tween overwriting
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 03:28:01 PM »
Hi,

I have to confirm there's no overwrite in DOTween. Its previous version, HOTween, had it, but I decided not to implement it in DOTween because the only way to have it is to use Reflection, and I wanted to avoid any of it this time (mainly for performance reasons).

Consider though that you don't need to kill a tween in order to allow an overlayed one to play: you can just pause it.

Cheers,
Daniele

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 02:53:24 PM »
Thanks for the info.

Related question, is there a convenient way of updating an existing tween (either in-progress or after it's finished) with a new set of animation properties and re-running it without creating a new tween and having to pause/kill the last?

Daniele

• Dr. Admin, I presume
    • View Profile
    • Demigiant
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 03:08:23 PM »
You could either use ChangeValues, or depending on the settings you want to change you could just chain them again and they will overwrite the previous ones (most chained settings can be applied at any time).

Also, in case of the same animation playing forwards or backwards (like a button press or a UI element entering/exiting), I usually just use the same tween (with SetAutoKill to false) and use PlayForward/PlayBackwards to switch its direction.